My Birth Story newborn and mom

Hey, all. That’s our little princess and I a couple of hours after we’d been moved to our postpartum room. Three days after my due date on October 13, around 1 AM my water broke. I texted Scott because he was at work and told him what happened and he came home. I told him not to call our families because I wanted to go to the hospital and make sure it wasn’t a false alarm but he decided to call everyone anyway. We got to the hospital around 2 AM because I decided to take a shower and we stopped for snacks on the way. After waiting in triage and being examined by an RN, I was admitted. I found out I was dilated to 1.5 cm.

The RN told me my room was ready and we occupied it around 2:45 AM. My mom and sister had arrived to the hospital while we were in triage. Scott called my dad and left him a message telling him what was going on. He also called his mother who woke one of her friends up at 3 AM and asked her to drive her 40 miles to the hospital. That’s a good friend because I wouldn’t have done it. LOL. 

I’d been in active labor for about 8 hours, on Pitocin at my doctor’s request, before I decided to get an epidural. The Pitocin made the contractions extremely strong and I did what I could. My husband, mom, and sister were great coaches; they encouraged me so much and helped me to get through the pain. After the epidural my left leg went numb but I had some pain in my right. Around 5 PM I started shivering, which the nurse told me was normal because I’d had anesthesia. But my shivering was severe. It turns out I’d come down with a temperature of 100.6. Before we figured out I had a fever, I’d been checked and hadn’t progressed past 3 cm and 90 percent effacement. I was so frustrated. I told the nurse to page my doctor and let her know if I didn’t make more progress at a certain time, I’d go the c-section route. So, at 9 PM, I was checked again and I was still at 3 cm. The nurse started packing ice under my arms and around my legs to try to bring my temperature down. They prepped me for surgery and off I went. I can’t tell you how nervous I was. I’ve never had surgery and I was crapping bricks. But my husband prayed with my mom, sister, and I before I went into the operating room.

The procedure took about 40 minutes total. And I’m so happy that ordeal is over! Our baby girl was 6 lbs. 9 oz. and 19 inches long. Scott yelled across the OR, “Babe, she has so much hair!” LOL. He’s a mess. I was happy she was healthy and even happier when I heard her cry. I’m over the moon to finally have her here with us even though she runs me ragged. Our nurses were absolutely AMAZING! I really should be asleep right now because it’s 11:30 PM and I finally got her down. However, I wanted to share my birth story.